March 9, 2014

God Gives Me More Than I Can Handle...

We've all heard the line, "God doesn't give you more than you can handle." This phrase has been spoken to me many times since my diagnosis and it makes me cringe each time I hear it.  I know it's always spoken out of love and from a good heart, from people who want to say something to comfort but don't quite have the words.  

But I prefer to think about tough times from a different perspective.  Maybe it's true that God Himself doesn't necessarily send more than we can handle.  Only good things come from God.  I do believe, however, that God allows Satan to give us more than we can handle.  God allowed Jesus more than he could handle; all of our sins laid upon this perfect, sinless man. But Jesus knew he could get the strength to continue from God alone.  So why would we think that we are so special as to not have more than we can handle placed upon us?! 

God allows us to have more than we can handle so that we can learn turn to Him for strength and comfort and give Him the reins of our lives.  Only in our hardest, darkest moments do we really turn to God in such a way that we bow down at His throne and give all our hopes, dreams, and lives fully to Him.  So, I'm here to say, I'm so thankful that God has given me more than I can handle.  Through the messy, hard moments, I have learned that life is so much more manageable when He's fully in control. 

When I heard the diagnosis of brain cancer, my whole life as I knew it came crashing down.  All of my dreams were stopped dead in their tracks.  It changed the way I looked at every situation, every activity I was involved in, and the people around me.  This may sound crazy, but I truly am so thankful for this cancer.  I'm at peace knowing that I've learned to give control of my life to God.  I no longer take life for granted; I enjoy the people around me in new ways, I appreciate the little moments of joy more, I don't participate in things just because people want or expect me to but rather because I enjoy them, and I have learned to live each day with a passion and fire that I never had before.  I see each day as an opportunity to make a difference, rather than as a day to get through. 

Life is short and can be taken at any moment.  Our community learned this lesson this week, as a wonderful woman's life was cut short due to cancer.  Sharri understood the importance of loving her family and friends while she still had an opportunity to.  She remained joyful despite the Doctor's prognosis.  She cherished each moment that God gave her.  I was impacted by Sharri's life, as I know were many others.  We can only hope our lives are as fruitful! 

I challenge you to live this week in such a way that you appreciate and cherish each moment God gives you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment