March 10, 2011

Day 17

Challenge: A picture of something that has made a huge impact on your life.
 
Since we're going to Indianapolis for the weekend, I figure I better get ahead on my daily challenge or else I will never get caught back up!  :) 
 
This is a hard one... I am a true believer that every person, obstacle, and situation has a huge impact on one's life.  Every encounter and experience leaves an impression.  However, certain ones leave more of an impact.  As many of you know, I grew up in a very dysfunctional family.  My dad is an alcoholic/drug user.  My mom worked hard to get us both out of the situation and I am very proud of her for all that she has accomplished.  I believe growing up in this household and situation has had the biggest and best impact on me, however.  Because of growing up poor, I had to learn to go without and I believe I am a compassionate person now because of it.  Without growing up like I did, I would not have the heart for low-income parents like I do.  Therefore, I wouldn't have started Family Outreach Community Center and would not serve my community in such a big way.  Without having a deadbeat dad, I may not have turn toward God to fill that void in my life.  All of these things and more derive directly from my upbringing.  And looking back, I am so glad that God placed me right where He did. 

No comments:

Post a Comment